Welcome to Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) India (“IET India”) website.
This privacy notice lets you know what happens to any personal data that you give to us, or any that we may collect from or about you. It also contains useful information about who to contact in the event you have a question or query.
Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) India and what it does
Institution of Engineering and Technology, is a not for profit organization engaged in the general advancement of Science, Engineering and Technology and to facilitate the exchange of information and ideas on these subjects in India and IET Services (India) Private Limited, is a for-profit company, (both together hereinafter referred as “IET India”). Both these entities are wholly owned subsidiaries of The Institution of Engineering and Technology, UK (“IET UK”) which is registered as a charitable organisation in England and Wales, to promote the general advancement of Science, Engineering and Technology and to facilitate the exchange of information and ideas on these subjects.
IET India’s objectives are promoting the advancement of engineering, technology and science. It provides a range of services to individuals, corporates, educational institutions including members of IET UK (hereinafter referred to as “Contacts”). IET India is careful to protect the privacy of its Contacts.
This policy details how IET India collects and uses your personal data, and how you can control its use. It describes the broadest potential use of personal data through the web site and in offline interactions that are consistent with the terms of this policy. However, please note that IET India may make far less use of your personal data than what is set out herein.
Ownership of Personal Data collected by IET India
Membership, Engineering Council, Local Network and Volunteering related products and/or services
IET India is the distributor of these IET UK products and/or services in India and is acting as a data processor for the IET UK and will use your personal data to process your order or deliver your products and/or services as per the requirements of the IET UK. Your personal data will be owned by IET UK, as the data controller, and your personal data will be transferred outside India to the IET UK and will then become subject to the IET UK Privacy statement.
Events and Local products and/or services
IET India may also collect and use your personal data in its own right as the data controller for the purposes of promoting and delivering India specific products and/or services that you have requested.
Personal data that IET India collects
The personal data IET India collects will be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used and IET India will take all reasonable steps to ensure that such data will be accurate, complete and kept up to date.
Typically, the following details are required in order to deliver the products or services that you have ordered or for event registration: name, address, telephone number and email address.
If you applying to become a member of the IET UK or achieving qualifications under the rules of the Engineering Council, then further information may be required from you, such as educational and employment history, plus the name(‘s) of qualified supporter(‘s) in order to assess your application.
IET India does not attempt to collect personal data by methods that are indirect or not made obvious to you, and it does not attempt to combine your information with data obtained from sources outside the IET network of IET India, IET UK and their affiliate entities.
What IET India does with your personal data
IET India is committed to the security of the personal data you provide to us and takes all reasonable steps to protect your personal data from loss, misuse, and unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction.
- to process membership applications and renewals and for all other membership administration;
- to process and fulfil orders;
- to deliver products and/or services that you have requested;
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from the IET India;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered between you and IET India; and
- to notify you about changes to IET India services.
- IET India may also use personal data to tell you about IET India and/or IET UK IET products and/or services that may be of interest to you. Each communication IET India sends you will contain instructions permitting you to "opt-out" of receiving future marketing communications. In addition, if at any time you wish not to receive any future communications or you wish to have your name deleted from our mailing lists, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From time to time, IET India may invite visitors to the website to provide personal data to improve the site or improve your experience of the IET and its products and services. Answering any questions will be optional.
- Some events listed on IET India sites may be organised in co-operation with other organisations. When you register for an event, it will be made clear to you to which of the partner organisations your registration is being submitted.
Our Disclosure of Your Personal Data and Other Information
IET India will not share, give or sell its Contacts' personal data to third parties without your explicit permission.
There are, however, certain circumstances in which we may share your Personal Data with certain third parties without further notice to you, as set forth below:
- Secure online payments: Online payments will be handled by our PCI DSS compliant third-party payment provider CCAvenue. IET India will make it clear on the payment pages that you will be transferred to CCAvenue and the terms and conditions of use of that site will be applicable to the transaction.
- Business transfers: IET India may disclose your personal data to a successor or acquiring entity as part of a merger, acquisition, reorganization or other transaction involving all or substantially all IET India’s assets.
- Agents: IET India may share your personal data with its agents, contractors and volunteers of IET India in order to perform the functions listed above.
- Legal Requirements: IET may disclosure your personal data for the purposes of law enforcement, regulations or legal proceedings, or legal obligations of IET India.
Subject to the preferences that you have indicated, IET India sends emails to its Contacts. Links included in these emails may be personalised to allow us to determine which Contacts followed such links.
If the IET India is currently conducting a survey or requesting feedback (for example in user trials), cookies may be used to record the fact that you have seen the invitation to respond. The aim is to avoid showing you the invitation repeatedly. If you reject these cookies, you may see the message a number of times.
Amending your personal data and preferences
The accuracy of your personal details is important to IET India. To update your personal data please send an email to email@example.com containing your full name, phone number and IET membership number if appropriate.
Questions and comments
If you would like further information about this policy and/or concerned about the security of your personal data or you require a copy of the personal data that IET India and/or the IET UK holds about you, please contact the Data Protection Officer firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your passwords are your responsibility. For your own protection and to protect your personal data, you should not disclose your passwords, including your IET account password, to any third party.
If you access IET websites from a PC that can be used by any other person, make sure you always follow good security practices.
If you suspect that your password or account information has been compromised, please inform us promptly and change your password immediately.
If you choose to log in to our websites using a social media log in, you are granting permissions to that social media provider to share your user details with us.
Links to other web sites
This privacy statement only covers the web services offered by the IET. Other external websites are governed by their own privacy statements. We are not responsible for policies or procedures for sites not operated for or on behalf of the IET.
Updates to this policy
The privacy of members and visitors is important to IET India. This policy will be kept under continual review, and changes may be made from time to time.
Issued January 2013
Reviewed November 2019